When he got to the obelisk Mr Monkey found that it had been erected in 1714 to commemrate the 2nd Earl's mother's family. The trees around it were planted at the same time, and Mr Monkey couldn't help thinking that the obelisk was more impressive when it was taller than the trees. Mr Monkey scampered around the obelisk and looked down onto fields outside the park and an ox-bow lake that used to be part of the river Bollin.
Return to Mr Monkey at Dunham Massey
Copyright Rik Shepherd and Mr Monkey. This page last modified 24th March 2008