At the top of Nerudova the car turned to head for the castle. Mr Monkey looked at the Černinský palác (Černin Palace) and the Loreta as he passed them. The Černin Palace has been home to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs since 1932, and in 1948 Jan Masaryck, the only non-Communist member of the government, jumped, fell or was pushed out of a window here. The Loreta was built in 1620 after the Catholic victory at the battle of the White Mountain to make the Czech people forget Protestantism by promoting the cult of the Virgin Mary.
Return to Mr Monkey's vintage car tour of Prague
Copyright Rik Shepherd and Mr Monkey.