While he was in Křížovnické námeští Mr Monkey examined a large statue of Charles IV, who had the idea of building the bridge when the previous Judith Bridge fell down after a flood in 1342. It wasn't called Karlův most (Charles Bridge) until 1870; before that it was either the Kamenný most (Stone Bridge) or the Pražský most (Prague Bridge), probably because it was made of stone and was the only bridge in Prague. Mr Monkey looked over a parapet and admired the 516 metres of bridge.
Return to Mr Monkey crosses Charles Bridge
Copyright Rik Shepherd and Mr Monkey.