Mr Monkey trotted around the walls to the south bastion. In 1813-1814 the original angled bastion was replaced with a round bastion allowing guns to be mounted facing out to sea. Mr Monkey inspected a 64 pounder muzzle-loading rifled gun, made at Woolwich in 1872, on a replica traversing mount in one of the seven gun positions built in 1850, then carried on walking around the walls.
Return to Mr Monkey at Southsea Castle
Copyright Rik Shepherd and Mr Monkey.