Mr Monkey passed a lot of narrowboats moored up at Higher Poynton. He stopped to look at Bridge 16, which crosses the canal near Haggs Farm. This was originally a swing bridge but was later replaced with what looks very like a bridge from a railway station by someone who didn't bother to cover up the base of the swing bridge. From 1847 the canal was owned by the Manchester, Sheffield and Lincolnshire Railway (and, after 1922, by the LNER) so that might be where the bridge came from.
Return to Mr Monkey walks the Macclesfield Canal from Marple to Wood Lanes
Copyright Rik Shepherd and Mr Monkey.