Mr Monkey's home page Sitemap

Mr Monkey in Bath, 13th May

"Lots of people could assemble here, and probably did"

Mr Monkey looking down the corridor from the front door Mr Monkey in the Octagon of the Assembly Rooms

Mr Monkey scampered into the Assembly Rooms, and went up the main corridor into the Octagon. When the Rooms were opened in 1771 the Octagon was used by cardplayers (except on on Sundays); in 1777 a new room, just for cardplaying, was added and the Octagon was used for meeting and music. The portrait of Captain William Wade, the First Master of Ceremonies at the Upper Rooms, was painted by Gainsborough as a present for the Rooms. Mr Monkey popped into the Card Room, which is now a cafe, for a fortifying snack.

You can read about the Assmebly Rooms at the Bath Venues website and at the National Trust website.

Previous picture - Next picture

Return to Mr Monkey in Bristol and Bath 

Copyright Rik Shepherd and Mr Monkey.