Mr Monkey managed to make his humans think it was a good idea to walk along the Ijzer to the older part of Nieuwpoort. On the way he found a two storey pavilion sticking out into the river, so he scampered in to get a view down the Ijzer to the sea. He got a good view of the lighthouse, too. This one was built in 1949 as a replacement for the 1923 lighthouse which was blown up in 1944. The 1923 lighthouse itself was a replacement for the 1881 version, which was was bombarded to bits in 1914.
Return to Mr Monkey in Ostende
Copyright Rik Shepherd and Mr Monkey.