Walking along the upper stretch of Canal Street, Mr Monkey paused to look at the blocked canal arm. In 1849 the arm served St. George's Foundry and coal wharves owned by the Bridgewater Trust and the Grocer's Company. In 1955 part of the canal arm had become a car park and the rest served a Corporation wharf. Now it's all filled in and the buildings belong to the Business School of the Manchester Metropolitan University. When he got to Minshull Street Mr Monkey stopped to compare the view with a photo Mr Rik's dad took back in 1962, but found that the trees got in the way.
Return to Mr Monkey walks the Rochdale Canal through Manchester
Copyright Rik Shepherd and Mr Monkey.