Mr Monkey scampered across the river to visit the Customs House. This was built in the 1780s as a headquarters for the Customs service, and burned down by the IRA in 1921 as part of the Irish Civil War. Now it's been restored, and there's a visitor centre that told Mr Monkey all about the history of the building.
There's a page about the Customs House at the Irish Architecture Online website.
Copyright Rik Shepherd and Mr Monkey. This page last modified 29 October 2003