The Helliwell House was owned by William Helliwell, one of the two major landowners in Todmorden Mills, and owner of the brewery. The house dates to the 1830's, but it's been restored in the style of 1867 (the year of Canadian confederation). Unusually, the two storey part of the house is built of adobe. The kitchen has a new-fangled stove with clever devices to boil water as well as cook, and pipes to heat some of the other rooms of the house.
Copyright Rik Shepherd and Mr Monkey. This page last modified 23 November 2004