Mr Monkey checked the sign, just to make sure he'd got off at the right place. Then he admired the main building, which opened in 1900 as a replacement for a wooden building which burned down in 1897. The building was abandoned in 1954, and it took them about a decade to restore it for the museum opening in 1990. Mr Monkey trotted under the canopy, to see what was in the Ellis Island Immigration Museum.
There's lots of information about the museum at the Ellis Island Immigration Museum website.
Copyright Rik Shepherd and Mr Monkey. This page last modified 20 March 2005