Mr Monkey scampered through the Visitor Centre, and out to the Butte du Lion. This is on the spot where the Prince of Orange was wounded, and marks roughly the centre of the Allied line. It was started in 1824, nine years after the actual wounding, so it obviously wasn't considered that urgent. It took the female workers from John Cockerill's ironworks in Liege two years to build the mound, carrying the earth in wicker baskets on their backs.
Copyright Rik Shepherd and Mr Monkey. This page last modified 10 July 2005