Mr Monkey admired the towers on the front of the GWR Barracks. This was originally a lodging house for single workers, but in 1869 turned into a Wesleyan chapel. Round a couple of corners, he found the GWR water tower, which is 75 feet high, and could have 41,000 gallons of water in a 6 foot deep tank on its top. This provided a useful source of high pressure water for fire fighting, which was apparently more necessary after they built the Works.
Copyright Rik Shepherd and Mr Monkey. This page last modified 30 October 2005