Mr Monkey crossed the headland again, and ran up into the keep, which turned out to have quite a bit missing. It was originally built between 1157 and 1169. The western half of the keep collapsed after a three day bombardment by Parliamentary cannon in 1645. Mr Monkey investigated the ruins in the rain, and admired the herringbone work at the back of the fireplace.
Return to Mr Monkey at Scarborough Castle
Copyright Rik Shepherd and Mr Monkey. This page last modified 4 August 2006