Mr Monkey was going home by train, so he had to walk back down the canal. On the way he went through Marple Memorial Park, a 14 acre site donated to the town by the Carver and Barlow families on July 22nd 1922. Mr Monkey admired the memorial to the 141 Marple men who died in the First World War, and the 50 who died in the Second. He was interested by the loom shuttle carved on the date stone from the cotton mill built by Samuel Oldknow on the Bottoms Hall estate. When he built it in 1790 it was the largest mill in Europe; it burned down in 1892.
Return to Mr Monkey walks the Peak Forest Canal from Romiley to Marple
Copyright Rik Shepherd and Mr Monkey. This page last modified 9 June 2007