At the end of the moat Mr Monkey spotted a small sluice gate. On the other side of the road there's a watermill, and Mr Monkey quickly realised that the sluice gate controlled the flow of water into the mill. The mill was built around 1616 by Sir George Booth to grind corn, became a sawmill in the 1860s, and then fell into ruin when the 9th Earl bought a steam-powered sawmill.
Return to Mr Monkey at Dunham Massey
Copyright Rik Shepherd and Mr Monkey. This page last modified 24th March 2008