Mr Monkey found a doorway in the cloister and popped into the Chapter House. Built around 1165 as the meeting place for the monks of the abbey, by the 18th century the chapter house contained the cathedral's library. The library was burned in 1831 by a mob who were annoyed at the bishop of Bristol for opposing electoral reform. Mr Monkey admired the soaring roof and the intricately decorated walls, which survived the fire intact.
Return to Mr Monkey visits Bristol Cathedral
Copyright Rik Shepherd and Mr Monkey.