Temple Mine, a fluorite mine, opened in 1922 then closed three years later because there wasn't that much fluorite. Mr Monkey was led through part of the 1922 workings, then led back to a junction and off into a section tunneled out when the mine was reopened in the 1950s. The later miners had pneumatic drills and dynamite and were able to make their tunnels more spacious.
Return to Mr Monkey at the Peak District Mining Museum
Copyright Rik Shepherd and Mr Monkey.