Mr Monkey left the Begijnhof through a small door in the main gates. He crossed the bridge and looked back at the gate. The date 1776 only refers to the building of the gateway; the rest of the beguinage dates from the 17th century. Mr Monkey looked up the canal, which was momentarily empty of tour boats, then set off into town.
Return to Mr Monkey visits the Begijnhof
Copyright Rik Shepherd and Mr Monkey.