Frank Matcham designed the first Opera House at the Winter Gardens in 1889, but it was completely rebuilt in 1910, and almost completely rebuilt again in 1939. The room that Mr Monkey visited was the main entrance foyer of the 1910 version, which was incorporated into the 1939 rebuild. Mr Monkey looked out of the window and wondered what it would have been like looking from Matcham's original Opera House. Different, he decided.
Return to Mr Monkey takes a Matcham tour
Copyright Rik Shepherd and Mr Monkey.