Mr Monkey spent a little time looking around Lock 88, searching for arms off the canal. In 1849 there was one roughly where the brickwork to Mr Monkey's left is now; by 1955 this had been filled in and the whole area from St James's Buildings was an electricity station. There was a second arm off the canal where the carpark is now, which was filled in after 1955. The bridge-like stucture is just for carrying power cables from a sub-station, and is useless for crossing the water.
Return to Mr Monkey walks the Rochdale Canal through Manchester
Copyright Rik Shepherd and Mr Monkey.