Mr Monkey scampered along the riverside path below the Roman Walls along the Dee, stopping to look back and admire the Old Dee Bridge. Wooden bridges built here were swept away in 1227, 1280, 1297 and 1351, and, in 1387, Richard II let Chester have the money to build a proper stone bridge. It originally had towers and gates at both ends, to keep the Welsh out, but they've been removed since and the Welsh are allowed in. Mr Monkey decided to investigate what looked like another bridge a bit up the river.
Return to Mr Monkey in Chester
Copyright Rik Shepherd and Mr Monkey. This page last modified 9 June 2006