Mr Monkey scampered around the side and end of St John's. The building of the church started in 1075, but stopped between 1082 and 1190 due to lack of interest from bishops, and wasn't finished until the late 13th century. The central tower fell down in 1468, and again in 1572, and the west tower fell down in 1574 and 1881. During the Civil War, Parliamentarians beseiging Chester used the church as a fort and stationed a battery of cannon in the churchyard, which probably didn't help the the structure much. Mr Monkey scampered away before anything else fell down.
Return to Mr Monkey in Chester
Copyright Rik Shepherd and Mr Monkey. This page last modified 9 June 2006