Mr Monkey scurried onto a not very attractive modern bridge over the ringroad, and looked back at a small tower he'd passed without really noticing. Since the civil war this has been called Morgan's Mount, after an artillery officer who commanded a nearby battery of cannon defending the city. Further along the wall, Mr Monkey found another tower. In medieval times, it was called Dilles Tower, or the Goblin Tower, and was taller and circular. Damaged in the civil war, it was rebuilt in 1708. Sometimes it's called Pemberton's Parlour, after the master of a rope walk.
Return to Mr Monkey walks the walls of Chester
Copyright Rik Shepherd and Mr Monkey. This page last modified 9 June 2006