Mr Monkey stopped at the bottom of the mound that Clifford's Tower stands on. The tower used to be the keep of York castle, but the rest of the castle fell down, or was knocked down. The gatehouse was added in the 17th century, which might explain the way it doesn't look like it quite fits. Before instructing Mr Rik to run up the steps, Mr Monkey paused to look at the monument to 150 Jews who in 1190 killed themselves and burned down the wooden tower that stood on this site to escape murder at the hand of a York mob.
Return to Mr Monkey in Clifford's Tower
Copyright Rik Shepherd and Mr Monkey. This page last modified 4 August 2006