Mr Monkey decided to visit the Museum Gardens again, in search of a tower he'd failed to find before. First, he found the Multangular Tower. This marks the north west corner of the Roman legionary fortress of Eboracum. The little stones at the bottom are Roman work, the larger, higher stones are medieval. A little further on, Mr Monkey looked at the ruins of St Mary's Priory, founded by King William Rufus in 1088 and dissolved by Henry VIII in 1539.
Return to Mr Monkey in York and Scarborough
Copyright Rik Shepherd and Mr Monkey. This page last modified 24 August 2006