The keep was built in 1180 by Philip of Alsace. To save a bit of effort it was built on top of an existing stone building, and the Counts of Flanders ended up with a rather great Great Hall suitable for feasting and signing peace treaties and doing other Countly things. Now the hall houses an exhibition of medieval armour and weapons. Mr Monkey examined the collection, then scampered up a narrow set of stairs to the roof.
Return to Mr Monkey visits Het Gravensteen
Copyright Rik Shepherd and Mr Monkey. This page last modified 16 November 2006