Mr Monkey stared up at the roof of the Chapter House. The roof is suspended from the dome above it, so the original builders didn't need to put a supporting column in the centre of the room. Creeping around the eight sides of the room Mr Monkey inspected the alcoves that the canons sit in during their meetings, admiring the carved heads. About 80% of these were carved between 1270 and 1280; the others date to 1845, along with the decoration of the ceiling.
Return to Mr Monkey in York Minster
Copyright Rik Shepherd and Mr Monkey. This page last modified 24th March 2008