Scurrying back along Katelijnstraat Mr Monkey peered at the white marble statue of Van Eyck in the courtyard of the Academy of Fine Arts. This was put up in Jan van Eycksplein in 1856, but was replaced by a bronze statue in 1878. Mr Monkey found and visited the comic shop he was looking for, then trotted on past the Kerk Onze-Lieve-Vrouwe (Church of Our Lady). He couldn't help noticing that someone had covered its beautiful spire in plastic sheeting.
Return to Mr Monkey in Ostende
Copyright Rik Shepherd and Mr Monkey.