Mr Monkey had to be at the Barbican in the afternoon, and he decided to walk there from Covent Garden. On the way, he came to Holborn Circus and St Andrew's church. There's been a church here since 951, but this version of it was designed by Wren between 1684 and 1690, had the tower heightened in 1703, got bombed in 1941 and was rebuilt in 1961. Mr Monkey was intrigued by the effigies of children standing on ledges over the door, which represent the charity school based at the church.
Copyright Rik Shepherd and Mr Monkey. This page last modified 28 February 2006