Walking around the southern ramparts, Mr Monkey looked at the gatehouse, the Count's House, and the courtyard. He found it hard to believe that for the first half of the 19th century there was a cotton mill in the castle, and the courtyard was full of workers houses. All of these got removed during the 25 year restoration of the castle that started in 1893. Mr Monkey thought that a castle with a cotton mill would be a very unusual tourist attraction, but industrial archaeology obviously wasn't popular at the beginning the 20th century.
Return to Mr Monkey visits Het Gravensteen
Copyright Rik Shepherd and Mr Monkey. This page last modified 16 November 2006